Compiling some of the major blunders committed by central government in Kashmir since 1947:
- Referring the matter to UN when the Indian Army was in the process of flushing out the invaders in 1947
- Nehru’s uncalled for assurance that the wishes of the people of the State would be ascertained (1947)
- Bartering away the territorial gains of 1965 at Tashkant
- Indira Gandhi could have dictated settlement of the Kashmir question in 1972: following the liberation of Bangladesh
- Release of militants in exchange for Rubaiya Sayeed by VP Singh on Dec 13, 1989
- Not crossing the LOC after clearing the aggression from Kargil, 1999
- Handing over three militants (Masood Azhar, Omar Sheikh, Mushtaq Zargar) at Kandahar on Dec 31, 1999
After all downfalls, in a big step on August 5, 2019 Article 370 and 35(A) were nullified by central government, the step hailed by everyone is tend to take Kashmir towards a peaceful and prosperous future.
Note: List as compiled by former DGP Prakash Singh also called architect of police reforms in India in a paper published by VIF.